Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Explorers' Botanical Notebook: In the Footsteps of Theophrastus, Marco Polo, Linnaeus, Flinders, Darwin, Speke and Hooker

"I received a free sample in exchange for writing a review on the blog"

The book, Explorers' Botanical Notebook by Florence Thinard and Yanick Fourié has been such a wonderful read! It's like experiencing realistic findings through the discoveries of these famous people about specific plants. It's not your typical book on plants and flowers, but a real look at the true living plants with dried out images, and detailed information about the location of the plant and explorer who has taken on an adventure to discover it. Plus, the book covers many familiar explores' that I've heard of during my years in school. Inside the book, these discover share their own personal writings of these plant inside. 

I actually feel this is quite a change from reading a book on plants but discovering more about the remarkable details about each, who discovered them and other wonderful facts! Reading this book has been a change and an inspiration for me!  A few things I've loved is the detailed findings from each explorer, plus I get to learn a bit more than I knew about them and the plants that I admired for awhile. 
It's a great book for those interested in the adventures and findings of these wonderful plants, the beautiful realistic look of their natural design, and even the location and explorer who found them. Plus, it's packed with plenty of well-known plants and plenty of explorers to learn more from! However, it is very detailed on the explore and how they came across these plants. It's quite a history lesson and a bit of interest for those who love these types of plants. Oddly this type of book, with the realistic plant images makes me want to start writing my own journal or book about plants I've grown and what they really look like from different stages. It would be pretty cool! 

Finally, this book is quite a fun and interesting read! I've learned more than I knew before and it actually has me interested to try doing what these famous people did, create my own personal detailed journal of a plant I love. However, it might be a little less discovering and more just reviewing the changes in each stage.
Information About The Authors:
Florence Thinard has a degree in history and international relations from the Institute of Political Studies in Paris. She worked in tourism in Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and North Africa, before becoming a journalist. She has written or co-authored more than 30 books and lives in Toulouse, France.

Yannick Fourié is a professional nature photographer. His images have appeared in more than 15 books. He lives in France.

Book Information:

  • Publisher: Firefly Books
  • PLASTIC-LAMINATED HARDCOVER: $ 39.95 USD
  • EAN: 9781770857636
  • ISBN: 177085763X
  • Author Statement: Text by Florence Thinard ; Photographs by Yannick Fourié; Translated by Barb Collishaw with The Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, and the Université de Montpellier 2
  • Audience: Trade
  • Specs: 150 color photos, illustrations, and engravings, 80 maps, bibliography, botanical index
  • Pages: 176
  • Trim Size: 8 1/2" X 13 1/2"
  • Language code 1: eng
  • Publication Date: 20161025
  • Copyright Year: 2016


If you're interested in learning more, please follow the link below:
Fireflybooks - Explorers' Botanical Notebook: In the Footsteps of Theophrastus, Marco Polo, Linnaeus, Flinders, Darwin, Speke and Hooker
and



Thank You
Remember you can follow me here for more great reviews and giveaways:

“I received this product free of charge for an honest and unbiased review.”




Google+ Followers