Saturday, April 22, 2017

Functional Programming in Java - How functional techniques improve your Java programs by Pierre-Yves Saumont





I am just learning about Java and many other programming types. However, I always have been curious most of all with Java. I hear it used often and I've already taken a few course online about Java. Though when I saw the book, Functional Programming in Java by Pierre-Yves Saumont and that it was about improving the programs, I knew I needed to have it! I guess you can say, I'm very obsessed to learn coding and programming.

Well first off, this book isn't bad for anyone like me trying to learn Java. It begins by explaining what the book is and how it will help, while also what it really isn't and what not to expect. Also, like the book says in the title this will cover all things about functions in Java. 
Plus, you won't need to worry about being left in the dark when you read this book. It will explain each bit of information to you fully, and show you in black and white, photos and helpful images of the functions and how it works. I really think that is one of the major benefits I love this book!  It helps you out along the way, leaving you not lost or confused while trying to understand. 

What I think that makes a book from manning different from most is that they always include a summary piece, something to end each chapter your reading. It keeps you informed to what you've learned. Plus, in the beginning, you'll get an idea to what you'll be learning. It's just such a nice thing that they add this to each book on programming! So, when I read this book I feel like I'm in a class, but learning on my own. Since, everything about functions in Java is explained on each chapter, like a real course on functions.
There is another feature that really comes in handy. This book is very well organized. It can easily help you find what part of the information you are looking for. For example, in the table of contents, you have every chapter and the breakdown of what you'll learn in that section of the book. You can jump right to a specific part if you ever need to understand something again or get a better idea of what you've been having trouble understanding. Of course, these are just a few things I've mentioned I really enjoy about the book's display of information and what it covers, but the big thing I really enjoyed is learning about chapter 7, Handling Errors and Exceptions. This is where the problems are seen through examples and what you might come across when you put together your own code. Honestly, having an idea of what is going on with the true visuals of a code and the flaws it includes, is super helpful. Just imagine if you never saw one, so now you have an idea and get to visually learn, which I really love in a book about the errors or exceptions that may occur. 

Finally, here is something I always love to do with a book like this, practicing along the way. I find I don't learn anything without not doing it myself. Therefore, if I can code along with the book, getting the same results it's all the best! This way I can learn and it sticks in my brain a bit more than just reading and looking at the examples. So, this book in all is a perfect guide on Functions. The author did a wonderful job setting it up and with plenty of helpful examples located inside to help anyone understand functions in Java.


Information About The Author:
Pierre-Yves Saumont is an R&D software engineer at Alcatel-Lucent Submarine Networks. He wrote Le guide du developer Java (1999), the first French book published on Java programming.

Book Information:

  • Paperback: 472 pages
  • Publisher: Manning Publications; 1 edition (January 27, 2017)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1617292737
  • ISBN-13: 978-1617292736
  • Product Dimensions: 7.3 x 0.9 x 9.2 inches

If you're interested in learning more, please follow the link below:
Manning- Functional Programming in Java
and




Thank You
Remember you can follow me here for more great reviews and giveaways:

“I received this product free of charge for an honest and unbiased review.”